Sunday, October 27, 2013

Hearsthstone Card Design

So I been playing a lot of Hearthstone lately,
 And for some reason the game even thinks I am a GM in arena because I manged to get 9, two times...I was like what GM already?

But anyway while I could spend some time analyzing the game I done some of my own card design instead. Because its always fun working on card games.



I done 1 card per class and 1 neutral card so far.

I am sorry the cards are a little messy I was never the that great in UI artistically.
 I tried some different fonts to see which ones I liked the most and after that--- well if I do more cards I try to find a more better consistent one.  





Flavor Text: Everyone is scared of Varok Saurfang, his status makes people even be afraid of creating concept art of him or even worse concept gameplay with him. We are all surprised the bosses let us have him in the game.



I love this warrior set up with this armor(shield slam etc), so I wanted a creature that gave armor at first but I changed it into a battlecry effect that will enable the warrior to attack minions and taking less damage.
Furthermore, I would set this mechanic to be called Intimidation and it could be used on other cards e.g. a card with intimation 1 constantly fearing the opponents minions.






Flavor Text:


Not only is Vanessa the child of the most wanted man in Stomwind,she was also chased by deranged harvest golems all her youth, it’s no wonder she grow up to become kinda murderish.


I like the Vancleef storyline, I also like Combo effect in cards. Lastly I think rouge could need one more aoe card. But an expansive one.
 


Flavor Text: Embracing death, the lords of the nerubians become know as the traitors of their kind.


I wanted a character that returns stronger with Death Rattle. In the game right now most Deathrattles are either effects of a minor version of the minion. With this minion I wanted it to first be an Ok card but then grow stronger if its killed as it then ascend into an undead form, unholy blessed by the Lich King and stronger in death than in life.
I also made it have a lot of health by intention to make it hard to just suicide with it.


Flavor: Like the priest didn't have Op heals already now they also heal when you heal.


An interesting card for Priest vs Priest and Priest vs Paladin.



Flavor: Mages are not funny people that’s for sure, when they can’t polymorphing your most beloved minion they instead prevent your from summoning it in the first place.



Inspired by the Shaman system. I would really think that having a few cards which can prevent the other player from reaching a mana level would be very interesting. E.g. preventing the opponent to reach 7 for one turn as at 7 a flamestrike could otherwise be coming.

 




Flavor Text: Hunters got everything, crowd control, damage,tanky pets, even damage over time effects. Whats next trap gonna be like? Heal Trap?


I took the liberty of creating a new trap card( I mean a trap that don't exist in WoW) because these are my favorite part of the Hunter hero, furthermore I wanted a Damage over time effect on a hero.
I balanced this card by comparing it mainly to Mage fireball. I wanted it to do slightly more damage in total but cost less as its a secret, it has to be played early to make an effect lastly it don't work on some heroes.
 


Flavor: A real leader always protects his subordinates, as long as they promise to not resurrect him if he dies.


I feel at least one hero should be able to protect the minions by becoming a tank him/herself. And I would say that if anyone should do it its should be Uther the Lightbringer.






Flavor Text:
When four windwalls clashes with each others, a windhouse is created.



I know that Shaman is a very aggressive kind of gameplay, I don't disagree with that. But as an old shaman healer, I would like to see Shaman the more cards oriented towards defending.



Flavor: It’s a Bird...It’s a Raven It’s Crow. I don’t know they all look the same to me.


I wanted a card that is more useful than the acidic swamp ooze, but on the same time it's still as pointless if the opponent has neither armor or weapons e.g a priest.
However, it is not a dead draw as the card is still a 4.4 just a very expensive 4.4



Flavor Text: If you feel a burning sensation inside your stomach, you might not wanna stand next to your friends.


I love this kind of effects in card games, well in any game were the player knows he/she will take damage in the future(or some kind of death effect etc) so the player has to plan out when the cards should be played out, or maybe might as well sacrifice a minion which is will die regardless and so on.