Friday, February 28, 2014

Meridian Twister 4v4 epic Starcraft 2 map

So I been working on a lot of level design projects for starcraft 2 maps the latest weeks, maybe for a month. I am gonna post 5 maps on the same time now as I have been working on them simultaneously.

 There clearly are some themes that are in several of them. The main thing I been aiming for are new gameplay experience for multiplayer maps. Last year I did Fallen Stars a 3v3 map were I focused on creating a 1v1 x 3 instead.

 Many of these maps are following in ideas and concept I developed during the creation of  that map.

Unfortunately I am sitting here with super bad net, so I cant stream/record the maps. I tried to freaking stream Hearthstone and even that was super laggy. 


Meridian Twister is a 4v4 map were have created two 2v2 battles. The map are in 2 big circles, but its not circle shaped(see Mengskgrad). It features more of a typical corner bases but one other rim and one inner rim play field.






 In the middle of the map I made a shared golden mineral expansion. I it is possible to have 4 bases here but its only 16 mineral patches, also as I made it as a cross the player wont share 8 with another player(normal shared expansion) but the players actually share 4 with 1 player and 4 with another.

Taking control of the middle is of course a very important part for any teams economy there are also 4 side expansion one can reach from the middle.
 But these side ones are close to the players start location so they are much easier to defend then the gold one straight in the middle.


 The inner circle player starts at this location, the uphill expansion is there natural expansion while they can move outside to the circle(in between the 2 start circles, yes this is confusing to explain) to expand more or take the inner middle expansion close to their start location.



The outer circle player start at this location, which is in the corner of the map. They have an easy to take natural expansion and their third expansion is towards their opponent(seen at the corner of the image).

I have designed the map so that the other players are moving in a clock wise attack pattern, its easier to attack from this location to the right(se image). While its harder to defend from the bottom(left).

While in the inner circle is instead an anti clockwise attack pattern.

The players does not have to follow this but its easier to attack in these patterns at least(for example the rocks in the image can be destroyed to open a big ramp down to this base).



 The map features curtains and different attack paths.
 The players can also destroy rocks in the middle in between start locations to open up paths to move in between the circles.




I also had some fun in the end doing some shorelines and other details to the map.