Friday, May 2, 2014

Quality Maniac: Hearthstone, UI Bug

So this bug----- GOD it has annoyed for months. Not only is it happening in a live version of the game: Hearthstone but it is also hard to reproduce.

 That is the worst kind of bugs, you know its bugged you have seen it bug but its hard to know why the it happens. For example when I was working on a game last year, there was a bug that in game Audio from cut scenes would start if you were AFK at the title screen for like 5+ mins. I found that bug as I noticed since I left the game at that place and went to get food. yeah not so easy to reproduce afterwards. It did actually also happen on the NDS(or 3DS one of those) if you closed the handheld device that would trigger an "AFK" effect for the game ( I actually think this bug never got solved and is in the released version).

Anyway this bug is funny enough similar to that bug. First of all its been bugging me for months because I have seen it since I got into the close beta(I was one of the first in the world so way back last year). And it has never been solved that is of course annoying by itself. But also then I have been trying to create it my self and it has taken me some time to find when it happens.

 The thing is I have found 3 ways to cause this UI bug.
 And to make it worse they are not 100% occurrence rate.  Sometimes doing X causes bug Y :)




This bug is that the class ability pop up. It stays instead of going away then the user moves the mouse coursers. It even stays while on other classes.


The first way to get this bug is simple but it has a very low chance.

If you have read my Black Widow bug in Marvel Avengers Alliance. I am all for Detail and Detail and efficiently. Really I don't want to brag (yes I do) but one think that makes me really good at Quality Assurance is my eye coordination of level of detail. Probably something I picked up from my years of observing my surroundings (for fun/paranoia) + years of martial art to tell how people will move and lastly a few years in user research. Its all about quickly spotting weird details with ur eyes,.

SO I noticed that this Class ability pop up was stuck and I quickly realized why it had happened and here comes the tricky part(and why I wrote the last humbrag paragraph). It happens at like a 10% of the time. Yeah really easy to get it but hard to reproduce this way.
 So what I noticed is that my mouse courser was at the location of class ability button. If you think about were the end turn button is as its located on almost the same place and they cross each otehr a little, I was to end my turn when my opponent surrendered.
 This means to try and get this bug again is easy I simply always end my mouse courser at that place. And through this I seen it happens very rarely -- yeah so one annoying bug.





Notice I dropped rank here (nah this images are actually from the day before I just decided to go trough this bug in the wrong chronological order...)

The other way to do it goes back to what I first talked about.

AFKing :)

If you go afk and come back the heroes class ability will get stuck like that. This happens a lot actually. Its not a 10% occurrence like the otehr thing. But, its dam tricky to reproduce.
 When I said this bug is annoying I really meant, its really really annoying.

Because as Blizzard has made the game kick out players who are afk for to long. Nothing wrong with that, but it makes reproducing this task a handful. I have not found the exact time when it happens, it might not exist an exact time even (looks like not right now). And trying to reproduce it many times I get kicked out of the game;)







Well the third sure way is to tab out of the game and eventually it happens. BUUUUUT (image above) yeah the game has always had a lot of UI issues with tabbing out so that is another bug really.


I actually think there are other ways to get it. I have other ideas but all of them like the 2 I went over are % chance of it happening so its hard to say really.