Saturday, August 18, 2012

Starcraft 2: Protoss Gameplay Analyzation

Hello people, anyone that knows me IRL knows I spend huge amount of my free time currently playing Starcraft 2. And have been thinking a lot about can I use my published model for gameplay experience for RTS genre or can something similar be created. The answer is yes I very much believe that. So I am gonna go in to that a little, and I might even attempt to write a paper about this in the future. But here I mainly want to cover each gameplay from each match up. And I will cover what I feel the meta game is right now at the ladder gameplay and my builds.
So before you think who I am I say anything, currently I am high ranked master as random. Furthermore I am listening to Gangnam Style from PSY, so I am really in the koreaboo mind set when I am writing this.
Analyzation note: This was supposed to be 3 separate entries but I realized that my protoss text is just so long, so it will be split into more parts. Hmm saved a few good games I had for some different match ups for my build, so some match ups will have some of my games. I might later add my replays of my builds. (Mainly some games I had in mind to upload has been auto deleted because I have played like 20+ games a day for the last week, so like my really awesome TVT 6 days ago is gone)



My E-penis grow 3 times it size the day I got to here.








I have played over a 1000 games in this season alone, and I start this with my best race Protoss, which I have played something around 7000 1v1 games at least. I might have played over 10000 games in 1v1 as toss, and then I have played maybe around 1000 games 2v2, 3v3, and 4v4, which I have been in a master in each of course ( However that was mainly as random so around at least 8000  games at protoss).

OK so I am will go into my analyzation of protoss gameplay from the eyes of the protoss player here and then there is these two individual analyzation, which are instead from the zerg perspective and the Terran perspective.


Fundamental Gameplay experience:

The reason I really like protoss is because its an reactive gameplay style. This is very much the basic control gameplay of fighting games. If you ever see me switch trough fighting  games (which you should if you ever have the opportunity I got a huge collection and 2 arcade sticks I am always interest in fighting game nights). My main picks will always be different Control characters or control sub arch types, speed control or slow control. If I play Street Fighter I play Guile, Akuma etc. If I play Guilty Gear i play Axl low, Testament, Bridget or Eddie. Blazblue I play Arakune, Hakumen, Litchi, MVC3 I play Dormammu, Ghost Rider. Even at games where the control gameplay is not obvious I managed to play them. And this is a very important point I am making now! When I was 14 I started playing VIrtua fighter 4 a lot. And my main is Kage-Maru a Strong control semi main, Aoi a control. This is important as I at the time did not at all think in this much more complicated game design perspective of gameplay. And in Virtua fighter there is no projectiles, however I still lover Kage-maru. Back then I didn't think of this of course today in retrospect I understand how fundamental a users’ preferences is. During my empirical studies. I have interviewed so many users who show the exact same behaviour, not necessarily that they play only control but that they play only fast/weak characters and so forth.

Recently I had a friend that wanted me to train him in Street fighter, and I asked him how do you want to play, when he was to decide on his main type of characters. And he couldn't explain it in fighting game words. So I asked him, what is favorite match up in Starcraft 2 as I knew he had played the game a lot. And he told me, that he just like me loves to defend drops, defend expansion and build that max food army. Simply said he loves to react to what the opponent does. He wants to have map control and slowly win the game. So I told him you should start testing out maining Akuma, which he did and he felt right away that this was a character for him,.

From this a conclusion can be concluded. Playing Protoss is kinda like playing Akuma. Still and very importantly we are talking about PVT now, PVT is like playing Akuma, PVP is not as all like a control gameplay so each match up has to be looked at individually. Which is of course one of the reason why Starcraft 2 is a such a great game. The best example of this and I will go into more detail is how TVZ is like playing Strong Control E,g Testament (Street fighter don’t have any strong Control characters) while TVP is like playing Fast/Weak E,G Chun Li.
I been discussion this a lot this recent days with some friends, it’s actually kinda funny how Akuma vs Chun LI is so similar to PvT. Terran is the one always pushing and trying to attack from different angles, you know basically trying to be a pain the ass so the Protoss can’t calmly and collect themself to deal damage to the Terran. How does a Chun Li face Akuma? Exactly the same Chun Li will constantly try to block swap etc and keep pressure on the Akuma player. And Akuma has a good ultra to, relatively to Chun Li, and he overall uses his energy better, so he will become stronger by the game progressing longer just like Protoss vs Terran. This is probably hard for people to understand who haven't speed 1000+ hours in both games but trust me the more I think about it the more I see this retarded similarities. Of course the games are physically played out so differently but the mental images, the mental planning, the meta game etc. Basically the gameplay experience is very similar.

OK so that was a lot of name dropping of other genre stuff-_-
But really Protoss at its base is a very defencive controlling gameplay, just like siting in the corner with Guile.
However PVP can act very differently and of course the user can play different styles. But I would still say its up to Protoss to defend in basically each match up. In PVP its more that one player will be aggressive and the other player will defend accordingly.