Saturday, July 28, 2012

Eedeen Starcraft 2 melee map.

Eedeen


That's right the map name is Eedeen..... Of course someone had already published a map under the name Eden. However I refused to change the name, or I was just extremely uncreative at the time. So I published my latest map as Eedeen. Anyway I will refer to it as Eden.

This map Eden is as 4 start zone map, but its like most my maps intended for a 1v1 melee game. However I believe its a pretty good FFA map, I have tested it a couple of time as an FFA game. And as I Will come to shortly why its a very aggressive FFA map.
This is because I intended the map to be very hard to defend third expansion. So in an FFA it becomes a lot of battles to secure a third base,

In the normal gameplay of 1v1. How the player wants to expand is depending on the start of the opponent. Or slightly depending on what match up/race it is. The expansion located at the sides of the map (left or right). Is on a cliff and is easier for a Terran defend against a Zerg. While the bottom or top expansion is very open, zerg vs for example protoss should take this one as its easier to get a surround, and this should be true against Terran to, of course it depends on the opponents army composition in the end.

Ok so first part the map features some interesting third base battles. Some other part of this map is that on the mini map it looks really wide open, because I have blocked of the map with trees. The trees create different paths around the center of the map, where an import Xel’naga watch tower is.
And I am really satisfied with the distance of the 3 Xel’naga watch towers. If a user controls the top one, he/she can see just until the tree wall. If he/she controls the middle one he/she can see between the 2 tree walls, and then with controlling the bottom one the user can see to the bottom tree wall. Controlling each Tower gives a great vision of the map. While controlling only the bottom/top one just misses to give the important vision of the paths in the middle. However of course those towers give a good vision on drops and on the path most player will take to attack their opponent if they are on the same top/bottom side of the map.

In the players main base, there is a high ground with line of sight blockers, making it a great drop location or to hide a pylon etc. While its not that effective to attack with air harras on the main. Air harras is instead very effective on the mentioned possible third bases.
The natural is relatively easy defended. I wanted it be easy as comparison with the thirds. However I made it have a pretty small choke but with rocks so it can be made wider.

I did not go for any fancy stuff this time, such as golden expansion, rich gas etc. I felt if I had mad for example the middle expansion gold, the side third ones would be less likely to be used. I didn't want the user to think like that, I want the user to think about the opponents position and the likely army to defends against. Altought it could be interesting as I don't really see a Terran going for the middle expansion at start, could create some interesting battles. However to me from testing the map, it would be unfair as teh Zerg player will most likely for a quick third at this place, slightly depending on where the protoss starts, and then it becomes fairly to good.

In the end of this map, I tried to find a snake critter to have in the middle but couldn't find one ---
Otherwise I made the map pretty nice with some sunlight effects, a nice surround of plants on the map sides.



Note: It was some really weird bug at two of the ramps, which I have never seen before. The units could walk and kinda jump up the cliff by moving just at the left of the ramp, e.g Ramp could not be force fielded, well it could with 2 fields. Anyway I fixed it by just removing and adding a new ramp at the same location.